Wednesday, March 08, 2023

Who is Amenhotep I?

Amenhotep I, also called Amenophis I, king of ancient Egypt (reigned 1514–1493 BC), was a son of Ahmose I and Ahmose-Nefertari, but had at least two elder brothers, Ahmose-ankh and Ahmose Sapair. Ahmose I was the founder of the 18th dynasty (1539–1292 BCE).

However, his elder brothers died before him, thus clearing the way for Amenhotep I ascension to the throne.

Amenhotep I was the second king of the 18th Dynasty to ascend the throne after the death of his father Ahmose I. The name Amenhotep means: “Amun is satisfied”. His throne name was Djeserkare: “Holy is the Soul of Re”.

Amenhotep I probably came to power while he was still young himself, and his mother, Ahmose-Nefertari, appears to have been regent for him for at least a short time.

Amenhotep I effectively extended Egypt’s boundaries in Nubia (modern Sudan). He inherited the kingdom formed by his father's military conquests and maintained dominance over Nubia and the Nile Delta but probably did not attempt to maintain Egyptian power in the Levant.

Because of perhaps a dozen years of peaceful rule during Amenhotep I's reign, his accomplishments included elaborate building work. Amenhotep I repaired and restored many ancient temples along the Nile.

The most important temples built by Amenhotep I was the temple of Amun at Karnak, a temple in Nubia at Sai, as well as structures in Upper Egypt at Elephantine, Kom Ombo, Abydos, and the Temple of Nekhbet.
Who is Amenhotep I?

Top popular articles

Middle-East News RSS

Recent articles in History of War